Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken Adobo


I made this dish last night since I was feeling lazy and I didn’t want to continuously hover over the hot stove. Adobo is actually the national dish of the Philippines and being Filipino it would be sacrilege if I didn’t know how to make it. You can use pork or chicken, I don’t think I have tried using other meats for this (oh well) I just used chicken because it cooks faster. There are many versions how to make this dish but I wanted mine to be really easy and simple so I copied my Aunt’s version :) here are the list of ingredients:

• 3-4 lbs chicken (I used wings and legs)
• 6 vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
• 6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 tsp black pepper, whole or ground (your preference)
• ½ tsp red pepper flakes
• ½ cup soy sauce




Place all the ingredients in a large pot (I used a Dutch oven pot) I arrange them is layers so the ingredients are spread out. Cover and Boil over medium-high heat. When it has been boiling for 10 minutes lower the heat to just medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes more uncovered so the sauce can reduce by half. Finally skim off any fat, give it a taste then make your adjustments if needed and it’s done (it may not look too enticing but the flavor is rewarding).


Serve over warm white rice and enjoy!
FYI this is even better the next day…

No comments: