Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Chocolate Indulgence


I remember it was a beautiful Saturday morning, the sun was up and temperature was in the 60’s so I figured why not take advantage of the nice weather. I invited my boyfriend for brunch in the city (Manhattan) expecting we were going to this Ukrainian restaurant that serves awesome comfort food but he had the hankering for some waffles so I had to do some quick thinking (since I am not a huge fan of waffles for brunch) and I asked him if we could walk around union square then decide where to eat, he hesitantly agreed.

Union square has a vast array of good places to eat but one that took my fancy was the Max Brenner place, sure I have seen and passed by it so many times but seeing the number of tourist flocking to eat there, well, it made me want to avoid it like the plague but luckily that day we were in the city it was reasonably quiet, low volume of tourists walking around the area which prompted us to try Max Brenner. The first thing that hits you when you walk in is the intensity of the smell of the melting chocolate which instantly reminded me of the hot chocolate my aunt makes…very yummy. Needless to say no way in hell I’m backing out now after smelling the chocolaty aroma. I ordered the hot chocolate served in the infamous Hug Mug and he ordered milk (yep, milk). The hot chocolate was good but then again I am a little partial because I love the hot chocolate at City Bakery with their homemade marshmallow.




I ordered the chocolate fondue, I picked milk chocolate and dark chocolate as my dipping choices and he ordered the waffles with fresh fruit, toffee bananas and whipped cream and I have to tell you I fell in love with their waffles. I totally did a 360 and took back what I said about waffles for brunch. It was crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside and the melted chocolate that you drizzle on top is just icing on the waffles. As for my fondue entrée lets just say I have never had so much chocolate in my life. Sinfully delicious, just try not to think about the calories.

Max Brenner (specialty - chocolate)
located in Union Square, Manhattan, NY
Broadway, between 13th & 14th Street

No comments: