Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Sloppy Joe's...Part I


Last Saturday I was watching this cooking show and the host was making her version of Philly cheese steak which looked and sounded absolutely delicious so I got to thinking I am going to make the coming work week a sandwich fest but alas the sudden temperature change made my allergies flare up so it ended up not happening (yet). All is not lost since I remembered that I have a can of manwich in my pantry I figured I will just do a manwich night.

It was still a debate for me to make it since I have always wanted to try to make it from scratch so with that in mind I search the good old world wide web for a sample recipe and I saw this Sloppy Joe recipe that was accompanied with good reviews so I went ahead and got all the ingredients and tried it. I had to tweak it quite a bit because I felt the recipe was going to be too sweet and saucy for me.


This recipe serves 8 to 10 people. I started with 2 lbs. of ground beef/ground turkey which I browned completely in a big skillet then I added 1 big onion chopped, 3 garlic cloves minced, 1 green bell pepper chopped, and 4 stalks of celery chopped. When vegetables become translucent start adding 1 (13 oz) tomato sauce, ¼ cup ketchup (or more if you like), ½ cup barbeque sauce (pick one that’s not too sweet), 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp dry mustard, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 to 3 tbsp vinegar, pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes; stir occasionally to avoid any burning. When it starts to look set rather than soupy then it’s done. Don’t forget to toast the buns on both sides and have your cheese condiment available. I used cheddar cheese which I just graded right before serving.


Overall it was a decent recipe I give it 7/10, I will still be on the look out for other possibilities and tell you guys how it comes out.

No comments: