Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Say Cheese!


Surely everyone has a favorite cheese and that definitely includes me. I am a sucker for trying different varieties. Especially creamy, buttery and nutty ones; which is why I make it a point to check out Stew Leonard’s cheese section on grocery day (one by Yonkers) or stop by Murray’s Cheese (the one located at Grand Central Station by the Seafood Market Place) once a week after work. Aside from the fact that they offer any cheese you can imagine and help you pick out the right cheese for your taste buds, they also ask if you would like to taste the cheese first before purchasing. No matter how many you want to try, all you have to do is ask. With all the varieties to choose from I do have a few Italian cheeses that are a staple in my kitchen. Each has its supporting role (and sometimes a starring role) in making everyday dishes extra special.


Parmigiano Regianno

This cheese is by far in a class of its own. From the region of Emilia Romagna in Italy this is a dry, hard, salty, nutty cheese that comes from raw cow’s milk. I always have this in my refrigerator. I use it in my pasta dishes, salads, sandwiches, polenta, mashed potatoes and so much more. Its versatility is limitless so if you are still using the one in the green jar I challenge you to try the real thing and I bet you’ll be hooked.


Fresh Mozzarella

This is a semi soft, generally white cheese that is widely used in pasta dishes. Originally made from water buffalo’s milk (Mozzarella di Bufala) I usually get the one made from pasteurize cow’s milk. It is easier to find and much fresher in my opinion. I prefer using the fresh mozzarella in my lasagna dishes although I know a lot of people prefer the low moisture packs that you get in the supermarket. I feel it gives more depth and freshness to my lasagna dishes but my favorite way to use this is when I make my Caprese salad. Fresh Mozzarella combined with heirloom tomatoes, sweet basil and fruity olive oil…who can resists.


Mascarpone

It is a soft milky-white, rich, creamy cheese. It’s quite versatile and decadent. I use this cheese in desserts and savory dishes. Be wary though since its fat content is about 75% a little goes a long way. I used it in my polenta, mashed potatoes, risotto and in dessert preparation. Italians use it to make their Italian Tiramisu cake, me I like to have it with fruit or preserves…



It doesn’t matter which one is your favorite as long as you enjoy them.

Murray's Cheese Shop
located at Grand Central Market, Manhattan, NY
43th Street & Lexington

Stew Leonard's (supermarket)
located in Yonkers, NY
1 Stew Leonard's Drive

No comments: