Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Easy Beef Stew


This is by far the easiest beef stew I have ever made and since I am always on the look out for easy to make recipes well this fits the bill. When I saw this recipe I was a bit skeptical how it would come out because it was too simple and does not require a lot of flavorings. With slight apprehension I decided to try it.


Start by heating up 2 tbsp of oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown 3 lbs of stewing meat (beef chuck is good too) then add 1 medium onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp ground all spice, 1 tsp dried thyme, 3 bay leaves, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 3 cups water, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 1 -2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.

When the meat is tender you can now add 4 ribs of celery chopped, 4 carrots chopped and 3 medium potatoes cubed and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetable are cooked. To thicken the sauce I used 1 tbsp of cornstarch diluted in cold water. Add cornstarch mixture into pot, stir and when it comes back to a simmer then stew is done


I hope you can give this a try and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. The dish is hearty and beefy. The taste is straight forward but if you’re looking for a beef stew with more complexities I will share my other recipe for next time.

No comments: