Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beef Short Ribs with Beans


This dish came to be when I was too darn lazy to do any grocery shopping and all I had in hand were short ribs in the fridge and canned beans in the pantry. I warn you that it might be too sweet for some people but you can definitely play with it. I just made a few adjustments to lighten up the sweetness of the beans.

This is by far one of the easiest one pot meals I have ever concocted. I didn’t do any measuring for this dish (I just estimated how much I used) so it is really up to you to tinkle with it. I used 3-4 tbsp olive oil, 4 big cuts of beef shorts ribs, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, 1 small onion chopped, 1 (28oz) can Bush’s vegetarian baked beans, water, salt and pepper to taste.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Start by heating up the oil in a Dutch oven and brown the short ribs on all sides. Set aside. Add the onions, sauté until translucent, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds then put the meat back in and stir. Add the beans, 1 cup of water, salt and pepper. Cover and place in the oven for 2 ½ hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking remove the lid to concentrate the flavor. This dish fed 4 people (that was great).




The taste is smoky and beefy accompanied by a very rich thick sauce. I love it on top of rice (of course) but you can eat it as is or with accompaniments of your liking. Enjoy.

No comments: